1st,3rd Or Over The Shoulder Prospective ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by VampireWicked, Apr 21, 2012.

?

Which Do You Prefer

1. 1st Person View

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. 3rd person view

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. Over The Shoulder View

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Register or log in to browse without ads.

1. VampireWicked

VampireWicked No Power In The 'Verse Can Stop Me.

Trophies:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know if there was a thread on this before.
    Ok am i the only one that finds over the shoulder view annoying sometimes.
    I CAN'T SEE WHAT'S AT MY FEET & MY CHARACTER BLOCKS HALF THE SCREEN!
    Which prospective do you prefer & why.
    I like 3rd person view because i see everything around me, 1st is okay but you can't see what's behind or left & right, above & below without rotating the character & camera. And over the shoulder view OMG! I can take it sometimes but it's like you wanna look on the left or right side but your character is your blind spot.
  2. Dark Drakan

Dark Drakan Dark Lord Of The Forums Staff Member

Trophies:
    I like both 3rd and 1st person but mainly games that mix 1st and 3rd person such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution. 1st person for the shooting parts and 3rd person when in cover and such. Though 3rd person games with good shooting mechanics I like too such as Red Dead Redemption.
  3. Vergil'sBitch

Vergil'sBitch I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl Gold Supporter

Trophies:
    Definitely third person (Like devil may cry).
    1st person makes me sick (literally, I get motion sickness). Over the shoulder is just as bad. In fact, over the shoulder just as well be first person IMO.
    wallenb likes this.
  4. Register or log in to browse without ads.

5. VampireWicked

Trophies:
    [​IMG]
    I agree.
    And when bad camera comes into play it's worse. DeadSpace2MP when your a necromorph at times your head is against the camera or half your body blocks your view & close areas it happens alot.
    Vergil'sBitch likes this.
  6. ZeroLove

ZeroLove Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    3rd person or over the shoulder, like in Mass Effect 3. I get seasick when playing in 1st person view for too long, plus I always get startled if anything flanks me while I am in 1st person view.
  7. VampireWicked

Trophies:
    [​IMG]
    Then playing mirror's edge would drive you both nuts huh.

It's sad having a beautiful character like that & only seeing her by reflection.
    Another thing i find odd is games that's 1st person view & yet they have character creation.
    wallenb likes this.
  8. Demon619

Demon619 Deadman walking

Trophies:
    I'm just alittle divided when it comes to 1st person and 3rd person shoters.

In most shooters that I play, I love to actually feel like I'm there. In games like Halo, Resistance, and Killzone, I enjoy the 1st person veiw of those games. But when it comes to most of my action games (examples: Devil May Cry, God of War, Ratchet and Clank etc.) I tend to like seeing the character in its entireity and feel in complete control.

That is a odd thing in those games. I guess its reasonable in Halo because of the whole machinima aspect, but in other 1st person games (besides games like Fallout when you can change perspective) it seems to be only useful when you need to pick your corpse out of a pile.
  9. Vergil'sBitch

Vergil'sBitch I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl Gold Supporter

Trophies:
    I had Mirror's Edge and yes, it made me feel ill :laugh: .
    So glad i got rid of it. But i think the game probably had more potential as a 3rd person. At least, that's what i think
  10. VampireWicked

Trophies:
    [​IMG]
    I agree & think Mirror's Edge Faith Connors would've been a great Lara Croft Tomb Raider for this day & age.
  11. ZeroLove

ZeroLove Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    Not to make this thread about Mirror's Edge, but I think it would be ALOT cooler if it was in 3rd person view, so you could actually see her do all those cool parkour moves!
  12. VampireWicked

Trophies:
    Isn't that disorienting going from 3rd person view & then BOOM your perspective tossed you into 1st person view like that.

[/color]
    And here's one for ZeroLove & Vergil'sBitch, you wanna see sickening.
    Play as a lurker in DeadSpace2 MP then climb the walls.
    I don't know what fool thought having the view jump around with each lurker movement was cool but they should be locked in a room & forced to watch the charlie's angels movies for 24hrs straight.
    Warning This could cause you to toss your cookies.

Oh for the necromorph lurker, the player was not turning the camera, that's just how the crappy over the shoulder camera is.
    if you haven't played DeadSpace2MP
  13. Darigion

Darigion The Angels are Weeping

Trophies:
    I don't mind first or third person, but I tend to be drawn more towards third person. The only first person game I really like is Metroid Prime.
  14. lorddemolatron

lorddemolatron Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    I used always to play in First person perspective, as I played mostly FPS but now I use also games on Third person perspective as I played recently MMO based on Megami Tensei Universe, but sadly this game now is unusable for EU players as I poorly know Jap needed to play on Jap server.
  15. wallenb

wallenb Humanoid Typhoon

Trophies:
    Mirrors edge needs a sequel now!! That is my favorite 1st person game. It was so different like dodging bullets, sliding, disarming, the momentum thing. If only people could understand how BA it was to be her flying over roof tops......GOSH DARN SHOOTERS!

I prefer 3rd person because i like watch bad ass action and games like skyrim show really crappy sword attacks. The Darkness actually was pretty cool for me too because it didn't always rely on shooting. For me to like 1st person i prefer not always having a gun in my hands and actually becoming that person i'm playing, hence 1st person. Which is why i like games like Mirrors Edge, Bioshock (a little) and The Darkness

over the shoulder is basically the same as 1st person, except sometimes your own body gets in the way
  16. Dark Drakan

Trophies:
    No its much easier that way as you cant tell in 1st person how well concealed you are against walls and cover systems dont really work in 1st person. Its pretty seamless to be honest and it becomes second nature, I really miss the 3rd person cover system when playing regular 1st person shooters after using that one. You control it as you have to hold the trigger to stay in cover, soon as you let it go it goes back to usual view.

I loved The Darkness 2 and the original for the story but the sequel did something that could change shooters forever. It managed to quad wield weapons and Darkness arms seamlessly without the control system being complex which was a joy to see.
  17. VampireWicked

Trophies:
    So it goes into 1st person view when using a gun or something.
    I like 3rd person view at all times when i'm sneaking & using stealth too but that looks like it works really well in Deus EX.
    But me i have a tendency to watch everything, how many steps away i am from a target & every other direction. I like seeing the prospective around me & how i'm placed in it at all times.
  18. Dark Drakan

Trophies:
    Yeah when walking normally its 1st person and when hacking and such. Just when you do takedowns and take cover against walls it switches to 3rd person so you have a better view of your surroundings and the action. The 3rd person view when doing this helps your prospective and can judge your timings much better as you can do rolls and switch from cover to cover in 3rd person. Which is a damn sight faster than trying to do it in first person and not being able to tell when you are in cover again properly.
  19. Angelo Credo

Angelo Credo Pay no attention to the man behind the mask. Staff Member

Trophies:
    Over the shoulder gives me headaches.
    Dat severely restricted FOV yo, seriously does my head in.

I'm fine with 3rd person, I'm fine with 1st person, I bloody well should be fine with 1st person considering my play time on games like Battlefield, but over the shoulder annoys me because it's literally 3rd person view with an FOV of about 50.
    Dark Drakan likes this.
  20. VampireWicked

Trophies:
    [​IMG]
    Over the shoulder view

[​IMG]
    Third person view

[​IMG]
    First person view
    Over the shoulder view creates a blind spot while playing games.
    You pan the camera a further distance just to look beyond that blind spot.

Third person view has equal distance when turning the camera to see what's going on in the environment.
    Your even able to see what's behind you.
    Imagine driving with an over the shoulder view.
    While you see everything to the right, you don't see anything towards the left of you.

And first person view creates 5 blind spots.
    Above, below, left, right & behind you.
    Whatever the camera is pointing at is what you see while everything else is in your blind spot.​
  21. ROCKMAN X

ROCKMAN X Keyser Söze

Trophies:
    Isn't 'Over the shoulder' Supposed to be a hybrid of Third person perspective ??

And i just hate FPS its just not my thing.. its only good for Shooters and casual games alike